2016/02/27

Sins of the Night( Dark Hunter #7)

Sins of the Night by Sherrilyn KenyonSins of the Night Summary:
In the realm of the Dark-Hunters there is a code of honor that even immortal bad boys must follow:

Harm no human. Drink no blood. Never fall in love.


But every now and again a Dark-Hunter thinks himself above the Code. That's when I'm summoned. Who am I? I'm the one thing the fearless fear. Step over the line and it's my wrath you will face. Nothing can touch me. Nothing can sway me. I am relentless and unfeeling.

Or so I thought until I met a female Dark-Hunter who goes by the name of Danger-it's not just her name, it's how she lives her life. She doesn't trust me at all. And who could blame her? She alone knows that I'm here to be judge, jury and most likely executioner of her friends. Yet she is my key to saving some of them. Without her, they all will die.

Dangereuse St. Richard is a deadly distraction. Something about her is reawakening a heart I thought was long dead. But in a race against evil, the only hope mankind has is that I do my duty. And how can I do my duty when it means that I will have to sacrifice the only woman I've ever loved?


Sins of the Night Review:
This book wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The first six in the series have been relatively interesting but this, I just couldn't get into for the longest time. Once again I get the feeling that these DHs are just like little kids. Like spoiled kids, they will hate you if they don't get what they want every minute. Honestly! They turned on Ash, even though he gave them a second life, because he doesn't help them as much as he should, and that he has been lying to them his whole life. Last time I checked, he doesn't owe them anything. And while they are free to their opinions, they have no reason to turn on their leader based on rumors after all Ash has done for them.

The story, if you got over the stuff above wasn't too bad. The romance was quite hard to get into, kinda a love triangle, but the action definitely made up for it. I'm not afraid of main characters dying, I read GoT and nothing compares to that! It was nice to see that Sherrilyn Kenyon is, yet again not afraid to sacrifice her characters to provide a real story not necessarily a HEA. The romance in this novel had taken a backseat to the world building from the series. This is a turning point in the series because soon after this, there is more world building in each book and less of the characters. We barely get to know Alexion and Danger, just the borderline essentials and not really why they fall in love with each other.

Alexion starts off as a normal horny guy....and that's it. He is meant to save the world, but he acts like getting into Danger's pants is much more important. And he doesn't give a lot of information for Danger to trust him. This leads into Danger. She has commitment issues because she was killed by her husband during the French Revolution and hasn't got back the ability to trust anyone. Everyone else is kinda meh. Ash is cool and Stryker is a nice villain. Sadly, there were not a lot of old couples which probably would have raised the rating for this novel. We do meet a bunch of new characters, but they don't play a pivotal role in the book, so it was kinda useless to meet them.

The characters do become better by the end of the story, and their love story is a little more believable. On the other hand, action is really good! The book literally opens up with a fight scene between Danger and Alexion which shows how kick ass both of them are! There was some major face palms and eye rolling because of how cheesy parts of the novel is and how stupid some of the characters are.

Finally, the last battle scene was pretty darn cool. I agree with some readers thinking it was kinda of like Jesus vs Satan, but Ash and Stryker have different roles to play than good and evil. Once you read their books, you'll understand. It was sad to see so many DH *SPOILER WARNING* die, but it did make sense. If Ms. Kenyon hadn't included it, it would have felt like a cop out. It was nice to make Danger a shade (?) so that she can live with Alexion.

Overall it was 3-4.5 stars, higher if I look at it just from the action perspective. The book could have been better but it felt more like it was made for world building than romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment